By continuing to browse our site, you are consenting to the use of cookies.

A key on a house key ring sitting on a wooden table


Buying more shares in your Shared Ownership home

As a leaseholder of a Shared Ownership property you can buy further shares of your home. This process is known as ‘Staircasing’, it enables you to own a higher proportion of your home. The larger the share you buy of your home, the less rent you pay to us. If you Staircase to 100% you become an outright owner and pay no rent.

The price you pay for any extra shares is based on the market value of your home at the time you wish to buy, which could go up or down.

The value will be set by an independent RICS qualified valuer. There are some costs involved in Staircasing – the valuation fee and solicitor’s fees, but the cost shouldn’t be as much as when you bought your first share.

Buying an additional share of your home is known as ‘Interim Staircasing’. If you staircase to 100% ownership that is known as ‘Final Staircasing’.

Things to consider before starting the process

How much is your home worth?

The value of the property is likely to be different since you purchased. One of the stages of Staircasing is obtaining a valuation to establish how much your home is worth now. This will determine how much any new shares in your home will cost.

To get an idea of your home’s value, before the formal valuation, you may wish to look at the local market. You can do this by searching prices of recently sold homes in your area, or by asking an Estate Agent to visit and value your home.

Can you afford to Staircase?

As well as the cost of the extra shares there are legal costs to consider, valuation costs and an admin fee payable to us.

Are you allowed to Staircase?

Some Leases do not allow you to own 100% of your home, or your Lease may state you have to have owned your home for a set time before you can staircase. Check your Lease to confirm.

Home Improvements and the value of your home

Some home improvements can affect the value of your home. As a rule, only structural improvements will affect the market value of your home. This would be works like extensions and conversions, (i.e. an extension to your living area) but not when you have replaced the bathrooms, kitchen or flooring, unless structural works have also been undertaken.

Any home improvements you have undertaken should be included on the valuation form, with evidence of the approval you obtained from us. The valuer will consider the value added not the cost of the works.

Your Lease states that you must ask our permission before you conduct any works. If you did not obtain approval, then the valuer will need to disregard these from the final valuation figure.

The cost of Staircasing

Valuation fee

We have negotiated a fee and currently this is £250 with a RICS qualified surveyor.

Admin fee

We charge £241.20 (includes VAT). This covers our cost in helping you through the process.

Legal fees

Staircasing involves changes to your lease. This means you will need the services of a solicitor. Costs can vary from £350, you may wish to obtain at least three quotes from local solicitors.

Mortgage fees

There may be charges from your mortgage company if you decide to re-mortgage.

Stamp Duty

Your solicitor will be able to advise you if this will apply

Six Steps to Staircasing

  • Check property prices in your area
  • Obtain a valuation (RICS)
  • Receive an offer notice from us
  • Arrange a mortgage (you’ll need ID, latest P60, three months payslips and bank statements, evidence of any savings)
  • Appoint a solicitor
  • Complete within three months of the valuation.

Staircasing application form

Fill in the form below and we'll get back to you soon.


Partnership • Respect • Pride
Realising the potential in our communities


Red Kite Community Housing, Windsor Court, Kingsmead Business Park, High Wycombe, HP11 1JU

Red Kite Community Housing is the trading name of Red Kite Community Housing Limited, a charitable registered society which operates for the benefit of the community under the Cooperative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered in England with the Financial Conduct Authority (registration number 31322R) and the Regulator of Social Housing (registration number 4682). VAT number 290 7410 06.