Fire safety this Christmas
7 December 2021
We’ve launched a Christmas fire safety campaign on social media to make sure that our tenants stay safe this festive season.
Many of the things we enjoy over the Christmas period, such as fairy lights, scented candles, paper hats and decorations, can all be fire hazards when proper care is not taken.
Our top Christmas fire safety tips:
Check that your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard sign
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or materials that can catch light easily
- Test your smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarms regularly and only remove batteries when replacing them
- Make sure cigarettes are put out properly
- Decorations can burn easily – so don’t attach them to lights or heaters
- Keep candles, lighters and matches out of children’s reach. Never leave burning candles unattended and always ensure they are fully out before you go to bed
- Take care around open fireplaces as clothes may catch fire
- Take time to check on older relatives and neighbours this Christmas as they are at greater risk from fire at this time of year
- Make sure your family and visitors know how to escape in an emergency
- Avoid leaving a cooker unattended and do not cook when under the influence of alcohol
- Never overload electrical sockets. Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed
- Store fireworks safely, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
Our tips will be posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages throughout December, so give us a follow and keep your eyes out. Remember to share these with family and friends.
More fire safety tips can be found at https://redkitehousing.org.uk/fire.