By continuing to browse our site, you are consenting to the use of cookies.

Universal Credit is coming on 16th November

3 November 2015

From 16th November 2015, single people who make new benefits claims will get ‘Universal Credit’ and not Job Seekers’ Allowance. We've included information below about how these changes could affect you if you are a single person on benefits.

What will Universal Credit replace?

Working Tax Credit
Child Tax Credit
Housing Benefit Income
Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (income-related)
Employment and Support Allowance
These changes will only effect new people who claim benefits. You don’t need to do anything if you’re already claiming benefits.

How do I apply for Universal Credit?

Claims for Universal Credit can be made online here:

How will Universal Credit be paid?

Universal Credit will be paid into your bank account monthly, meaning you will need to budget on a monthly basis. If you need help with budgeting, Universal Credit or paying your rent then our home budgeting team is here to help. You can call them directly on 01494 476339 or email them on

What do I need to do?

Open a bank account with a Direct Debit facility
Get access to the internet so you can apply for Universal Credit online
Make sure you can budget on a monthly basis, so that you don’t run out of money before your next payment is due
Take care of priority bills first, such as rent and utility payments
Where can I find out more?
If you would like more information about Universal Credit, you can visit:

If you would like more information about Welfare Reform you can visit:


Partnership • Respect • Pride
Realising the potential in our communities


Red Kite Community Housing, Windsor Court, Kingsmead Business Park, High Wycombe, HP11 1JU

Red Kite Community Housing is the trading name of Red Kite Community Housing Limited, a charitable registered society which operates for the benefit of the community under the Cooperative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered in England with the Financial Conduct Authority (registration number 31322R) and the Regulator of Social Housing (registration number 4682). VAT number 290 7410 06.