Menu

By continuing to browse our site, you are consenting to the use of cookies.

Be carbon monoxide safe

16 June 2015

Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.

According to the Department of Health, each year in England and Wales, there are approximately 50 accidental deaths, 200 non-fatal poisonings that require hospital admission and 4,000 visits to A&E that result from CO poisoning. Children and older people are particularly at risk.

In order to make sure you keep you and your family safe from the dangers of Carbon Monoxide, look out for:

  • soot or yellow/brown stains around an appliance
  • excessive condensation in a room with an appliance
  • lazy yellow gas flame rather than blue
  • pilot lights that regularly go out
  • people in the home experiencing cold or flu like symptoms.
Remember to regularly test your carbon monoxide alarm at least once a month

  •  
  •    
  •  
  •    

Partnership • Respect • Pride • Creativity
Realising the potential in our communities

TwitterFacebookYouTube
   

Red Kite Community Housing, Windsor Court, Kingsmead Business Park, High Wycombe, HP11 1JU

Red Kite Community Housing is the trading name of Red Kite Community Housing Limited, a charitable registered society which operates for the benefit of the community under the Cooperative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, registered in England with the Financial Conduct Authority (registration number 31322R) and the Regulator of Social Housing (registration number 4682). VAT number 290 7410 06.